Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Satay by the Bay to MacRitchie 27Jan14

From Con

This morning I went to Satay-by-the-Bay to look for the Black-headed Munia that Francis recently posted. Actually I saw it back in December, but today it was a no show and December was in 2013.

So I left around 8:30 to head to Eton Hall which I heard is a great spot to see rare raptors.
I get into the MCE tunnel and as the road rises to the surface I see an ERP gantry ahead. Okay I think, before the road from this area to Keppel Road was free of tolls, so I think at most this can be one or two dollars. I am not even entering CBD, I am just passing along and exiting at Keppel Road.

HOLLY COW. Toll is SIX DOLLARS. !!! If this isn’t Highway Robbery, I don’t know what is !!!

After this shock I later reach Eton Hall, and stay for a couple of hours. No rare raptors. Then I head for an early lunch and pick up a Oriental Pied Hornbill flying across Tanglin Road, seen one here before, much easier than going to Ubin.

In the afternoon I went to check out the Germain Swiftlet colony at Peace Centre (level 9 carpark) and I get 3 likely piles of bird poo but no nests. So I think the birds are still around but why there are no nests I am not sure.

In the evening I go to the Bat Hawk area and get Chestnut-winged Babbler, Short-tailed Babbler and Siberian Blue Robin (female) ... also think I got a glance at a first winter male.

No comments:

Post a Comment