Sunday, February 9, 2014

Dairy Farm Loop 14Jan14

From Con

I went this morning reaching the site a bit before 8. At 8 I started some intermittent playback. It took a long while before I got a response. Finally close to 8:30 I started to hear the Sakhalin Leaf Warbler responding, at first far away, but then coming in closer. Then I was able to see him and get my bins on him. He was about 10 meters away on a thin tree about eye level. About the same spot as with Kok Hui. Unfortunately looking directly into the morning sun, it was rather hard to see. But fortunately he stayed around hopping from tree branch to tree branch for the better part of a minute, although sometimes hiding behind the tree trunk. Luckily he came when there was no foot traffic on the path and I was able to get some shots, although a bit far. I think the first shot although looking away captures most of the key features.

Then some foot traffic came on the path and I was distracted from the bird and he moved off. But as I already had good enough shots I left him alone and moved off looking for other birds, I got a Little Spiderhunter.

I also found out there is an easier way to get to that spot. You can simply walk up the tarmac road past the Wallace Education Centre and then up the small hill to the abandoned house. There is a path behind the abandoned house that leads to the water tanks and connects with Dairy Farm Loop path. Much quicker and easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment