Sunday, August 7, 2016

Panti 29Jun16

From Con

The sand trucks were running even in the dark, so while looking for frogmouth a few were passing. Altogether the sand trucks were pretty annoying today, in combination with the usual HiLux, Ferraris, motorbikes, cement mixer, etc. The army was also there with a big camp at the second stream.

The weather was nice, but the accumulated damage the heavy equipment has done to widen Bunker Trail so the sand trucks can drive a little bit faster is rather sad. It also seems to me there is less activity along the roadside.

Not much of interest today, very few woodpeckers. No Rail Babblers or Argus calling. I confirmed that the Asian Paradise Flycatcher (at least 2 or 3) are still around and singing loudly.

The main item of interest, while walking in on Woodpecker Trail, I flushed a Black-capped Babbler off the ground who exploded in flight across the trail and disappeared. Thinking this was a bit odd I put my bins on where the babbler had come from and discovered a nest with one egg. I would have thought small bird like babbler would have multiple eggs. Anyway, I waited an hour and came back but the babbler was not on the nest.

You can see the nest is carefully woven with fine twigs and surrounded by dried leaves and overhanging foliage. The nest is right on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment