Sunday, June 1, 2014

Zoo 13May14

From KH

As the rest were recuperating from their Java trip, I did my own birding at the Zoo! The aim was the locate the purported Crested Goshawk nest.

Initially, I spent quite a bit of time at the wrong part of the baboon enclosure. Seeing no goshawk, I moved on to other enclosures. Need a toilet was a huge cotton tree and on this tree was the Purple Heron heronry reported by Danny when he was at River Safari.



On the same tree were nests of Painted and Milky Storks.

As I moved on to the rhino enclosure, a House Crow was chasing a huge bird. It turned out to be a Spotted Wood-owl.



Under a certain roof were Lesser Dog-faced Fruit Bats.


Back at the baboon enclosure, I found a Colugo on one of the trees.


Finally, at about 2:30 pm, I spotted a Crested Goshawk. However, it just perched there, doing nothing most of the time, preening away at other times. After an hour, I left the place, failing to locate the nest...

No comments:

Post a Comment