Saturday, November 9, 2013

Pasir Ris Park 7Oct13

From Con

I think I finally have got the Eastern Crowned Warbler.

I went to PRP to look for the Buffy Fish Owl and also try for Eastern Crowned Warbler, as I thought it should be a good habitat for him, and avoid the crowds at Bida and the very tall trees at Bida.

It was a very murky morning, I walked around the board walk and the Buffy was no where to be seen. Amazingly about 5 photographers had a woodpecker cornered in a hole, I thought everyone would be at Bida. I did see a warbler in a fairly low mangrove type tree, but some grannies came by talking loudly so no luck. I hung around there for awhile but couldn’t find any more warblers.

Then I walked around the tall trees where the Wood Owl often is, but no Woodie either, and amazingly no bird activity up in the tall trees that I could see. It was still rather overcast and perhaps the insects weren’t moving around much.

Then I went back to the boardwalk, and finally found a tree with some activity in it. There was a tailorbird calling away, and finally I located a warbler, and got pretty lucky when he caught an insect and then flew over to a small branch in the open to eat it. I got a lot of shots. Unfortunately the warbler didn’t turn his head to give me a clear view of the crown, but in the 3rd image there is a hint of a crown stripe.

Overall I think this is good for Eastern. Crowner darker than Arctic. All pale bill base. Yellowish under tail (see image 4).

No comments:

Post a Comment