Saturday, April 26, 2014

CCK Park 11-12Mar14

From Danny

11Mar

On Tuesday evening around 7.20 pm at CCK Car Park, saw a pair of screaming Savanna Nightjars flew in from the army camp. The dry condition must have driven them out from Warren to the army camp next to CCK Car Park.

12Mar

As for Hawk Eagle, finally solve the mystery of the open nest at CCK Car Park. In December last year, I had located the new nest of the the WBSE over at the corner formed by the army camp, KJE slip road and CCK car park though there was another smaller open nest on an albizia tree along the slip road leading to Mi Casa condo. On a few occasions, without benefits of bins, I have seen raptors behaving suspiciously around the nest but often it remained empty without any activities.

On Wednesday evening, I drove over to the back gate of Mi Casa and the army camp. The moment I left my driver seat I spotted another nest sitting high on a stout tree on the remaining wild wooded forest and next to the perimeter fences of the army camp. Thru' my bins, I could see the small head of a unknown bird. On further observation, it was clear a young chick with downy plumage was on the nest, possibly two weeks old, as it could stood on side of the nest. Before long a pale morph CHE flew in to feed the week old baby. After feeding, the pale morph CHE flew off to a higher branch to finish off whatever leftover of an unknown prey. I checked out the open nest and it was empty, soon the familiar call of the CHE brought me back to the real nest and there was a dark morph adult Hawky on the nest. The nest building and incubation started in December and hatch sometime in late Feb.

No comments:

Post a Comment