Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lock Road, Poyan 28Apr13

From Danny

Late morning due to overcast weather, dropped by Lock/Malan Road area. The whole place was off-limit for at more than 6 months when they moved everyone out but somehow physically not much changes except for barrier parking (Sunday free) but the tenants have changed to the arti type. Very quiet on Sunday, only two cars around. The path to Earth's Trail has been blocked off and overgrown with bushes and fallen trees. Bird-wise, nothing unusual except for a Red-billed Blue Magpie (didn't see for a year or more) who perched well but between birder and his car. It flew off when I try to reach for my scope in the car.

In the late afternoon, I visited CCK Columbarium where my grandmother RIP before heading to NSA gate. Just passed the Buffy point heard the Blue-winged Pitta calling on the left side of the road. Parked my car outside NSA gate and walked back to where the call was loudest. The call stopped when I got close, apparently the pitta spotted me. When I walked away it started calling again. I tried playback no movement detected. As I went back to NSA gate, another Pitta call came from the right, the gate (recalled we used to drive thru' jut next to NSA) was wide open. I walked in about 20 meters where the call was loudest. A short playback, the pitta flew out with its distinct blue wings and red vent. Within 50 meters, two BW Pittas stood their grounds and calling loudly for mate. The last BW Pitta was seen during the recent census. Don't think they are passing thru', possibly looking for female to breed.

No comments:

Post a Comment